Saturday, October 12, 2013

Les Bien-Aimes or Beloved OR French people can get away with anything.

Earlier this week my body succumbed to a bout of illness. Don't freak out, everything is fine now and I'm alive, so no need to contemplate a world without Patty. That being said I didn't leave my loft much and ergo had time to go through my Netflix queu and catch up on what I'd been missing, namely this masterpiece:

This movie is the most stylish thing to come out of France since Catherine Deneuve came out of the womb with a full head of side-swept luxurious locks and a cigarette dangling from her lips.

Catherine Deneuve's younger self, played by bottle blond Ludivine Sagnier, become a hooker on the side in order to pay for her growing Roger Vivier habit...totally understandable.

She "falls in love" with a Czech doctor...

They have a lot of sex...

And then they have a kid, because that's something that happens to straight people.

Move forward twenty years and that Charlotte Gainsbourg knock-off has become Chiara Mastroianni, who is actually Catherine Deneuve's daughter IRL, btw.


Chiara Mastroianni falls in love with a gay Paul Schneider. We've all been there, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.

And then they sing about it because it's a weird gay-ish romance.

And she also does the kind of choreographed bar dance that only French women can pull off...and me when the moon is illuminating my fifth house.

The clothes are amazing and enough to make one want to go retro for the day and actually consider wearing a polyester blend. Okay, not really. 

There's also a bunch of old people having sex, which normally isn't my thing but the French just make it work. I guess when it comes to Catherine Deneuve it doesn't really matter what she's doing as long as we get to watch her do it.

I'm not going to tell you any more because I don't feel like typing, so just take my word that this movie is gorgeous, chic, depressing, erotic, AND includes some great musical numbers that, again, only the French can pull off because they can say the most banal things while still being chic. Watch the trailer here if you still aren't convinced:

Oh and on a totally random side note I found Clay Aiken's OkCupid profile this morning, so there's something.


Love,
Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment